Sunday, May 25, 2008

It can happen to anyone!

Okay, I am sure this will be an urban legend in a year....A friend of mine that goes to auctions with me purchased 6 lockers for $10 about the last week in April. Obviously they weren't anything exciting to look at because of the price they sold for. In one locker he found (3 or 4) gold bars and well over $100,000 in cash. The locker was a bunch of old lady's clothes that had cash tucked in EVERY pocket!
He has since bought a new car, a new motorcycle and a few more items. My question to you reading this blog ... what would you have done with the money and the gold? Would you have put in a safe, a bank, spent it or what???

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog.
I have been going to storage auctions for about two years now and average about 2 to 4 purchases a month. This works out very well for me and the items that I find.

I am wondering if you have heard or seen the following take place in your area.

Storage facility filling up a unit or a couple of units with trash, leftover junk from people that have left. They find it cheaper to do this than pay for the trash to be hauled away. There have been recent examples of this in my area and we ask if this crap has been placed in this unit. Of course you do not get a straight answer.

The other issue that appears to stand out are signs of facility owners picking thru the stuff prior to an auction?

bcrogers1970 said...

I am posting this great point on the blog, in case somebody missed it on AllExperts.com.

Thank you for your question. It raises a valid point of the integrity in this business. I have had a few like that at the beginning but I have also seen "veterans" of this business pay $800 for a set up locker. "Legally" my belief is that the facility needs to tell the bidders ahead of time that the locker is a "company" or "facility" locker.

Of course, I have seen lockers that I believe to be staged, like who stores 10 mattresses and 4 metal desks? I have not been back to that particular facility and have let the auctioneer know why.

In addition, you know how places like Public Storage that have their $1 for the first month sale. I always try to find out how long this tenant has been renting the unit. If it is 1-2 months I leave it alone, it is cheaper to rent a unit than to dump.

I also wanted to let you know how I cut down on dump fees is not only to make friends with the guys at the dump. I also recycle almost everything and for big items I put them on the FREE listing on craigslist. Just in case you were wondering:)